Ah, those grand plans.
You know, those ones you mull over until finally, you just decide to take the plunge. You get some of your ducks in a row and with the excitement, you make your announcement.
Yay! It’s out in the open. It’s announced to the world, or at least, your world.
Everything is great until the dust settles. Perhaps, you didn’t really think everything through or the ducks didn’t line up as you had planned, and through the rush of this whirlwind choice, you realize it’s not going to pan out time wise as you once thought.
Yes, I know that feeling well.
While I know I already announced the launching of Long Valley Press, (over a year ago, gah!) what I hadn’t planned on at the time was that my own publishing house dreams would have to take a back seat for awhile. I had planned to publish my own titles under my house starting with my third novel, When the Black Roses Grow, but due to a few reasons that I won’t bore you with, I decided to submit the novel to my publisher instead.
Am I disappointed with this choice? No. I mean, I wouldn’t have submitted it if I would have regretted it.
But, back to my point, as I mentioned in a post several weeks ago, I found out that my publisher has decided not to offer print options for their titles. While these changes don’t affect, When the Black Roses Grow, if I were to submit As the Liquor Flows, it would affect that novel. Some authors might not care about this change, however, I do. It’s a detail that I don’t want to have changed for my career and my novels.
I want all my novels released in print form. Period. I don’t care if print books are dying, blah, blah, blah. I want print books.
So with this news, I’ve been faced with two choices for awhile. Either get my ducks in a row, so to speak, for my own house, Long Valley Press or find another publisher.
I’ve been back and forth with both ideas. The pros, the cons, the reality, the finances, the help, the struggles, the excitement, the waiting, the problems, the solutions—you name it, it’s been a battle from left to right.
While a bigger part of me has always desired to publish my novels myself, there were issues on that side of the coin that were hard to ignore. Outside circumstances that were in play and affected my choice, greatly. Fortunately, I’ve found a way to work around those barricades, so technically those problems are void. And, with that, the pro and con lists have changed.
Which has left me to where I am now.
As of today, the novel is finished and it’s time to make a decision.
So, what am I going to do? Am I going to hire and editor, find a cover artist, and buy my ISBN’s for Long Valley Press? Or am I going to step into submission limbo again?
Well, while the thought of hooking a bigger fish is so tempting, it’s not ultimately what I want to do or where I want to be. Maybe in a few years I’ll think differently, but for now . . . I think it’s time I branch out on my own.
Hello, Long Valley Press . . .